How Can I Apply for the Federal Skilled Worker Program and Immigrate to Canada?

How Can I Apply For The Federal Skilled Worker Program And Immigrate To Canada?

By: Emily Wilson

The federal skilled trades program in Canada is for individuals that have been chosen to immigrate to Canada based on their work skills and credentials.

Important Note: Applicants for the Federal Skilled Worker Program will be allowed to register through the Express Entry System beginning January 1, 2015. If you filed prior January 1, 2015, you will be assessed under the previous procedure.

How to Immigrate to Canada Through the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

  • To apply, you must meet the following criteria:
  • If you've been offered a job, or if you're looking for a position
  • Be eligible to work in Canada
  • You must be able to demonstrate that you will be able to support yourself and your dependents after you arrive in Canada.
  • Must have worked full-time (or equivalently) for at least one year; Meet English or French language requirements; Have a certificate, diploma, or degree from an accredited post-secondary institution; Plan on relocating outside of Quebec's borders.

What Type of Job Experience am I Looking for?

On the Canadian National Occupational Classification, your job experience must be Skill Type 0, Skill Level A, or Skill Level B. (NOC).
Your job experience must be compensated and full-time or part-time equivalent. A full-time job entails working at least 30 hours each week. You must have worked in that position for the past ten years.

If you have a permanent employment offer, these restrictions do not apply.

The FSW Point System

To apply as an FSW, you must have at least 67 points. You are awarded points based on the following criteria:
·     Your schooling;
·     Your English and/or French (Canada's two official languages) skills;
·     Your professional experience;
·     Your age
·     If you have a job lined up in Canada; and
·     Your adaptability.

Visit the Six Selection Factors page to discover how your skilled worker points are calculated and to see whether you qualify.

Please keep in mind that the FSW point system differs from the Express Entry method.

How Can I Apply for a Position as an FSW?

You may submit your profile to Express Entry if you are eligible to apply under the FSW category. For economic immigration categories such as the FSW, Express Entry is a new online application method.

Additional Information
  • Federal Skilled Workers: Details about the criteria for the selection as well as how to apply. From the Department of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship of Canada.
  • Come to Canada: If you wish to come to Canada as an immigrant, student, worker, or guest, this tool can help you figure out what your possibilities are. Canada's Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship (IRCC).
  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC): The federal department in charge of immigration and citizenship in Canada. Its website contains information on immigration policy, programmes and services, as well as application kits.
Also Read for more: A Complete Guide for Your Access to a Federal Skilled Visa for Canada